Thanks to everyone who attended today’s meeting. It was encouraging to see so many people!
A summary of the meeting for all:
- I started the meeting by announcing a change in
structure to IP - we are moving away from what has become an overly taxing
committee structure. Going forward we ask all our members to work to bring ideas
and actions to the group’s attention.
- In other words:
- If you have a postcard event idea - organize it and reach out.
- If you know of a position in that needs to be filled or an elected position opening up - bring it up at a meeting and recruit someone.
- If you have a great idea of how to be of service to someone in need in our community - come to a meeting or bring it to FB and suggest it!
- In other words:
Lots of people want to be involved and we ask each of our members to search for a way to lead one action or effort each year to make our community and our nation a better place.
- David Vinjamuri addressed the group about the Mt. Pleasant library board. I am not going to try to summarize all his comments here (David feel free to summarize in an email and I will forward). The basic idea is that there is an opening on the Library Board and it would be ideal to find a forward-thinking candidate to nominate. This person ideally should have some background with children and some knowledge of libraries. If you know of anyone who might be a good candidate please reach out.
- Shari Rosen Asher is George Latimer’s community liaison for Indivisble and other groups throughout Westchester - she addressed us about the efforts of the County Executive's office to support Indivisible groups - she can be reached at email@example.com and will continue to work to support our efforts going forward
- Our service project this month is helping to build a playground for Abbott House. Information and a sign up link are available on the IP Facebook page - the build is June26 - June 28 (you can sign up for a shift on any of those days)
- Karin Rhines will be our communication director going forward - if you have items you would like to share with IP place post them to the FB page or email them to: firstname.lastname@example.org (you can let Karin know if you would like them posted on the website or added to an email)
- Karin reminded us of the ongoing need for election inspectors - please reach out if you would like to become involved
- Danielle King updated on the status of legislation concerning drivers licenses for all, legalizing marijuana and rent stabilization in Albany
- Francesca Hagadus, Elizabeth Smith, Esq. an Laura DiVerne (Mt. Pleasant Democratic slate) introduced themselves - they will be reaching out for lots of support and door knocking all summer!
- John Fischer reminded us about the primary election on Jun 25th - PLEASE VOTE and remind others to do so!
We agreed that going forward we would leave each meeting with a postcard sized list of reminders until we meet again so here it is:
- WHO DO I KNOW WHO WOULD BE GOOD FOR THE LIBRARY BOARD?
- WHAT IS MY IDEA FOR AN ACTION OR SERVICE ITEM THAT I COULD ORGANIZE AND IP COULD SUPPORT?
- DO I WANT TO BE AN ELECTION INSPECTOR? WOULD IT BE A GOOD POSITION FOR ANYONE I KNOW?
- VOTE IN THE JUNE 25TH PRIMARY
- WHAT AM I DOING TO HELP THE MT. PLEASANT DEMOCRATIC SLATE WIN THEIR ELECTIONS?
OUR NEXT MEETING WILL BE SEPTEMBER 22nd at 3pm - SAVE THE DATE
We will not be meeting over the summer but there will be lots of things going on (including lots to do to get ready for the election on November 5th) so make sure you are getting updates from the FB page and make sure you are checking for emails from IP.
Enjoy the summer and we looking forward to seeing you all in September!!!